Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Testing....

I find it tough to blog on days like today, where the week has not been extreme at all, neither bad, nor good. Little man went to respite last weekend, which was a MUCH needed rest for Mom and I, and generally after that I am pretty set to go for another few rounds. He has been testing every single limit that he can though, more so with Mom than with me. He has gotten to where he sets up situations that he thinks will bug her, such as jumping around the kitchen while she is getting breakfast together, fists clenched, stating things like "you want to mess with me do ya? You want to mess with me?". Acting like a big tough boy is a definite coping mechanism for him. Generally mom just ignores it, but usually has to vent afterwards.
This morning I said something to him (can't remember what, it was insignificant) and his response was "you just be quiet".... now, in the household I grew up in that type of response would land you a backhand across various body parts, but I chose to go with "excuse me? that is not a respectful way to speak to me". He then went on to "lecture" me on how if I don't respect him then he won't respect me... etc. Of course I asked how he felt disrespected by my, and the answer was because I tell him to do stuff.... *sigh*.....

So I met with our family therapist alone last week (mom got held up at work) and she talked with me about an idea that a group of them have come up with. Basically it would involve our agency employing a full time staff member (PhD level, no less) to be our "in home support counselor". This would be a person that would literally, for a while at least, be in our home whenever little man is there and awake, coaching us on the ins and outs of working with him. He would help us with responses, help little man understand things that are tough, etc. Fortunately the person they are thinking of we know, he was an intern in our family therapy for a while, and Mom really likes him (I do too, but she REALLY connected with him). I can't help but think how weird the whole thing will be, but I also know we have to give every possible resource a shot. The most fascinating thing to me though, is that this has NEVER been done in Vermont as far as anyone knows, and can only happen because our agency has access to the necessary resources. It also points out to me not only the severity of our case, but the investment of folks around us to make it work.... that makes me feel good overall. I wonder what the Super Nanny would say if she were to come live with us for a while?
So here's to possibilities, and trying every possible option....

3 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that this new idea helps smooth things out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...an idea that a group of them have come up with. Basically it would involve our agency employing a full time staff member (PhD level, no less) to be our 'in home support counselor.' This would be a person that would literally, for a while at least, be in our home whenever little man is there and awake, coaching us on the ins and outs of working with him. He would help us with responses, help little man understand things that are tough, etc. "

    Praise God! I am sooooo very grateful for the investment your team has in You, Mom, and in litle man. So grateful. Answer to prayer. Really.

    BTW, I told mom, dad, and Aunt Ann about the difficulties with little man. Mom and Ann are praying. Dad is frowning. :) He's worried little man will burn your house down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one more thing...the "do you want to mess with me" and the "tell me to do stuff" sounds like Naji and Ky. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete